Senoia Optimist Club Wins Honor
Activities Are Honored
Optimist International has awarded “Honor Club” status to the Optimist Club of Senoia for 2010-11 accomplishments. Hal Sewell, president at the time (the group’s calendar runs from October through September), observes, “We have a very active club, and members are frequently coming up with new ideas for service projects and fundraisers. This was one of our most successful years for service.”
Among the highlights:
• holding a Youth Appreciation banquet
• presenting scholarships at both East Coweta and Northgate High Schools, plus special awards at East Coweta Middle School
• conducting a student oratorical/speech contest
• hosting two Youth Fingerprinting events
• sponsoring four Senoia Area blood drives
• providing suitcases for residents of Angel House
• helping with the Senoia Police Department’s Open House and with Special Olympics bowling and torch run
• assisting families at Christmas (in partnership with A Brighter Day and the Senoia
• providing food to help children affected by tornadoes in Meriwether County
• assisting with Stop Hunger Now meal packaging at East Coweta Middle School
• donating items to the Vineyard Community Church’s food pantry in Senoia
• contributing to Our Father’s House, a mentoring program for children; the Ferst Foundation for childhood literacy; the East Coweta Middle School chorus; and A Brighter Day, which bought 60 backpacks
• helping sponsor T-shirts for the Pink Posse cancer walk.
2011-12 Off to a Strong Start
For 2011-12, the group has already held its semi-annual barbecue and another Youth Fingerprinting event, and provided assistance to the Vineyard Community Church’s Sow Good Center food pantry and to Backpack Buddies, which helps economically disadvantaged students. In December, a special meeting at the Senoia United Methodist Church had as its speaker Betty Bryant of children’s organization A Brighter Day.
Current officers are Tony Bell, President; Pat Veneziani, Vice-President; Ivie Bowman, Secretary; and Linda Martin, Treasurer.
The group has regular memberships and a Friend of Optimists category for supporting activities on a more limited basis. For more information, call Tony Bell (770-599-3981 or 770-632-9052) or visit www.senoiaoptimistclub.org.